Thursday 26 August 2010

Latest Typography Work

Having been a while since my last blog post, I thought I'd write a little about my latest typography work. Whilst working on client projects and other Op45 design work, I've been slowly but surely developing a typeface started earlier this year. Having temporarily put aside the original design seen in our typography portfolio, I recently came back to it and decided to radically change it, virtually starting from scratch.



I'm now working on a much more useable typeface; a clean, solid sans-serif with a distinctive character. I'm keeping a strong focus on legibility and the flow of the letters together as much as the shapes of individual letterforms.



The design incorporates humanist qualities to create an original, interesting feel that also remains clean and serious enough for use in a range of situations. The large, open counters aid legibility and the individual elements of the letters are similar enough to maintain an overall cohesive look without being identical.



I'm currently finishing off the lowercase before moving onto the uppercase and numerals. With thoughts of quite a large family including a range of weights, true italics, extensive language support, discretionary ligatures and alternate characters for increased versatility, there's quite a while to go yet!

On a final note, I've found that in between a lot of meticulous, 400% zoomed in, pixel-by-pixel work, it's great to get away from the screen briefly and mess around on paper. Lately, I've been adding a bit of rare colour to my sketches with some watercolour brush work.



I hope to be able to post some typeface updates shortly so check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment